There is confusion over the future of David Beckham, after the Real Madrid sporting director Predrag Mijatovic was forced to issue a denial that Beckham would leave Real in the summer.
“Beckham will leave us, we will not renew his contract with the club,” he told Sky Italia television.
However, Mijatovic later said his words had been mistranslated and he actually said: “Beckham’s contract has not been renewed, yet.”
The 31-year-old, whose current deal expires in June, has been linked with a number of clubs in recent months, although he has maintained his desire to end his career with Real.
The player’s spokesman Simon Oliveira said he was surprised by the news that the offer of a new deal to Beckham had been withdrawn.
“Nobody has said anything to us,” Oliveira told the BBC. “As far as we’re concerned, the offer is still there and a meeting is due this week.”
Beckham, who has has started just nine times this season under coach Fabio Capello, was left out of Real’s Copa del Rey game with Real Betis on Thursday.