Portsmouth midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng has apologised to Michael Ballack for the tackle which ended his World Cup dreams.
Germany captain Ballack will miss the tournament in South Africa after Boateng’s tackle during Saturday’s FA Cup final between Pompey and Chelsea left him with an ankle injury.
Boateng, who will represent Germany’s group rivals Ghana in South Africa this summer, says he has offered his apologies to Ballack a number of times.
“All I can do is apologise,” Boateng told Sport Bild magazine. “I was just too late and I hit him straight on.
“It looked stupid. I apologised to him twice on the field and now for a third time. I am sorry. It was not intentional.”
Blues midfielder Ballack is still coming to terms with the fact he is going to miss the World Cup.
“Of course I am angry and it is disappointing,” said Ballack. “I don’t want to comment on it yet.”
Meanwhile, Ballack’s agent Michael Becker says taking legal action against the Portsmouth player is still an option.
“Every spectator could see what Boateng has done and that was clearly a premeditated foul,” said Becker.
“It is not possible that somebody breaks the rules with the intent to cause injury.
“The football field is not outside the law, even if Boateng believes that.”
Meanwhile, Ballack says he will wait until after the World Cup to decide on his future as an international player.
“I have to think about some things and sort them out,” he said. “That had been in the pipeline anyway.”
Ballack has won 98 caps for his country.