Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has confirmed that Real Madrid forward Robinho is a still a target – despite the Spanish club insisting he will stay.
The Blues bid £19.7m bid for the Brazilian last week but Real president Ramon Calderon insists Robinho will stay.
But, speaking on Wednesday, Kenyon said discussions with Madrid were ongoing.
“It is continuing,” he said. “We’ve still got a few days left of the window. Hopefully we’ll get a result.”
Robinho is keen to move to Chelsea to join fellow Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari at Stamford Bridge.
Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster has claimed that Robinho will not be sold at any price, while Calderon told BBC Radio 5 Live: “Definitely, he is going to stay with us. The coach (Schuster) has said he wants him in our team.
“We don’t see any possibility of Robinho leaving Real Madrid.”
Robinho has previously revealed: “It would be a dream for me to work with Luiz Felipe Scolari, who is one of the best coaches in the world.
The 24-year-old’s agent, Wagner Ribeiro, has refused to give up hope that a deal may yet be reached.
“I will try and do everything possible to get this resolved,” he said in the Daily Star.
“It is what Chelsea and Peter Kenyon want but there is no way they will pay what Madrid want.”
Robinho believes that Real are trying to price him out of the market after failing to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.
“The money Madrid are asking for is exaggerated in today’s market,” he said.
Kenyon believes Madrid’s desire to find a replacement is delaying an agreement.
“A key issue over buying Robinho has always been that Real are looking for a replacement,” he has told his club’s website.
“It is fair to say that is what has been holding up discussions.”