Everton and Liverpool will decide on whether to share a new ground by the end of the year after a meeting with UK Sports Minister Richard Caborn.
Anfield chief executive Rick Parry and Everton chairman Bill Kenwright attended talks with the Minister in London.
Liverpool had earlier claimed they were not interested in a groundshare, but Caborn said: “It was a very interesting meeting.
“A number of things have been explored and it is now down to the clubs to make a decision on what they want to do.”
Liverpool already have planning permission for a new 60,000-capacity stadium in nearby Stanley Park but with costs spiraling to £110m and with the club to announce debts of £21m at their AGM on Thursday, their position may well have softened.
They have applied for a grant from the North-West Development Agency (NWDA) but have been told that money will only be provided if there is a groundshare.
Everton’s plans to build their own stadium in at King’s Dock were abandoned due to cost.