FIFA has confirmed that South Africa’s programme of stadium construction was on schedule, despite a recent strike by construction workers in Cape Town.
“So far, things are all right,” FIFA spokesman Alain Leiblang told journalists in Cape Town.
“All things are on track. I don’t want to say for the future, but for the two cities that we have inspected everything is correct.”
Leiblang was speaking during a three-day inspection by FIFA officials of four of the country’s nine tournament host cities.
“This is nothing. I have known much worse,” said Leiblang – referring to a general strike in France as it prepared to host the same tournament in 1998.
“So far, we have a calender, we have a time schedule, it is on track.”
The team visited Johannesburg on Monday, Cape Town on Tuesday, and will proceed to Durban and Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.
“From time to time we have to say: ‘take care, don’t go in this direction, there is no need. Don’t do more than we need’,” said Leiblang.