Decision delayed until FIFA gets its house in order.
The vote to decide which country hosts the 2026 World Cup has been suspended in the wake of the ongoing investigation into corruption allegations within FIFA.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter resigned last Tuesday as a result of investigations instigated by the authorities in the United States.
The organization had planned to contact all 209 member federations to clarify the bidding timetable and rules for what would be a highly scrutinized process.
The 2026 host had been expected to be chosen at a meeting in Malaysia in 2017. The United States, Mexico, Canada and several European countries were all in the running.
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said “due to the situation,” it would be “nonsense” to begin the process now.
Valcke also defended FIFA’s handling of the $10 million payment to a Caribbean Football Union account controlled by Jack Warner, the former FIFA vice-president.
“It was not fifa’S’s money… it was a request from official South African authorities and SAFA,” he said.
“As long as it is in line with rules we do it.
“I don’t understand what’s the problem and why I am such a target in this question.
“You [the media] have decided that after Blatter I am the head to be cut, fine, but don’t say it is because of this $10 million.”