Man who tried to bring Blatter down in 2002, says he is receiving encouragement to stand for presidency.

Former Fifa secretary-general Michel Zen-Ruffinen is considering standing for the presidency of football’s governing body.

“I am simply studying the situation following some requests that I have received to (be a) candidate for the position,” the Swiss told Reuters.

“I will monitor the situation, see how it develops in the next days and check the feasibility (to see) if it makes sense.”

Zen-Ruffinen served as Fifa’s secretary general from 1998 to 2002, but left after falling out with Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Fifa is due to choose a successor to Blatter, who will relinquish his position at an extraordinary Fifa Congress, on February 26.

Embroiled in a corruption scandal, Blatter was suspended for 90 days by Fifa’s ethics committee on Thursday along with Uefa president Michel Platini, pending a full investigation. Both have confirmed they will appeal and have denied wrongdoing.
Until the most recent developments, Platini had regarded as the favourite to succeed his former ally Blatter.

Zen-Ruffinen was a stern critic of Blatter and, one month before the presidential election in May 2002, produced a lacerating report accusing Blatter of mismanaging Fifa’s finances.

His report led to 11 Fifa executive committee members bringing a criminal complaint against Blatter.

Blatter, however, went on to beat Isssa Hayatou in that month’s election in Seoul, the legal action was withdrawn and Zen Ruffinen stepped down.

October 26 is the deadline for candidates to formally submit their bids, which must have the written endorsement of five national football association.

Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan is the only remaining candidate who has experienced a Fifa election, having lost to Blatter in May this year.

Former Brazil international Zico and former Nigeria international Segun Odegbami have both indicated they will run but have struggled to gain sufficient support, while South Africa’s Tokyo Sexwale has indicated he may run.

South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon, the billionaire businessman behind Hyundai industrial conglomerate and another possible candidate, was last week banned for six years by FIFA’s ethics committee, thus ending his hopes of running.