The French soccer federation is considering asking Manchester City to ban Nicolas Anelka for two matches after he rejected a call-up to Les Bleus’ squad for the Wednesday’s friendly match against Yugoslavia.
“The French federation is considering asking Anelka’s club to ban him for two games,” read a statement.
“It’s the federation’s rule in a case like this anda plea could be sent to the English soccer federation.
“If no sanction is taken we will put the case to FIFA.”
Anelka turned down the chance to be involved in Wednesday’s friendly, claiming that French coach Jacques Santini did not want him in the squad.
“I met the coach last week when we played Manchester United and I was not convinced by what he said,” Anelka told L’Equipe
“I currently do not sense people truly want to pick me,’ added the Manchester City frontman. ‘
Santini told me that he had kept players ahead of me in the squad because he knew them better.”