Milan have yet to offer a new contract for injured Ronaldo after the Brazil striker was ruled out for at least nine months following knee surgery.
The 31-year-old’s deal expries in June and, with doubts over whether he will play again, the European champions are not guaranteeing him a fresh contract.
Former Real Madrid player Ronaldo underwent surgery on his left knee in Paris on Thursday after being carried off in Wednesday’s 1-1 Serie A draw with Livorno.
“Milan will do everything so that Ronaldo’s desire to be a great champion returns,” coach Carlo Ancelotti told a news conference on Friday, without mentioning a new contract.
Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf had earlier suggesetd that his team mate’s playing days might be over but Ancelotti said that was premature.
“No one can know if Ronaldo’s career is over or not,” said the coach. “I can’t know and neither can Seedorf.
“Only Ronaldo can know and he knows what he is up against. It all depends on his desire.”
Milan said before the injury Ronaldo’s deal would be renewed if the striker recovered his fitness and form.