Portsmouth are confident Harry Redknapp will shun any approaches from Newcastle United and stay in charge at Fratton Park.
Redknapp is the bookmakers favourite to succeed Sam Allardyce after the former Bolton boss departed St James’ Park on Wednesday.
A Pompey statement read: “The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp. He remains as committed as ever.”
Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie also indicated that the club are preparing themselves for a battle to keep hold of Redknapp.
“Harry is the manager, Harry is the manager we see going forward,” Storrie told The Independent.
“Obviously, if Harry comes to us and says , ‘I want to leave’, then it’s a different scenario.
“We’ve come so far as a club and we’ve got so far to go, compensation is irrelevant.
“I sincerely hope we never get into that situation.”
Newcastle are refusing to comment on reports they will make an official approach for Redknapp on Friday.
Redknapp had earlier stated that he was happy to stay at Portsmouth.
He told the News in Portsmouth: “There’s nothing in my being linked with the job. I am happy on the south coast. I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle. I really do not know anything about this.”
Other names linked with the job include Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Blackburn manager Mark Hughes and former England boss Steve McClaren.