Fifa president is unwell, but spokesman says he will fight to clear his name.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been admitted to hospital after suffering what has been described as a “small breakdown”.
Blatter, 79, who has led world football’s governing body for 18 years, is currently serving a 90-day suspension related.
It is understood he suffered what has been called “a nervous shock” but is expected to make a full recovery.
Blatter is said to be able to communicate, and is likely to be remain in hospital until next Tuesday.
“My brain and my heart are always fine, my body is letting me down,” he reportedly said.
Blatter’s spokesman, Klaus Stoehlker, told AFP: “He is now, at this moment in hospital. He is preparing to leave on Monday and will be back on the job on Tuesday.”
He had been forced to cancel an interview with Swiss television that was planned for this week.
Both Blatter and Uefa president Michel Platini were given 90-day bans by Fifa’s ethics committee in the wake of a Swiss criminal case concerning a payment made by the Fifa president to his Uefa counterpart. Both men denied any wrongdoing.
Blatter is reported to be “fully fighting against the ethics committee decision” and has told friends “no committee can put me out of the game.”
“His most important message is that he is fully preparing himself to go ahead with his fight against his 90-day suspension. He is deeply convinced that the ethics commission cannot force him out,” Stoehlker said.
“He said to me yesterday: ‘I was elected president by the 209 members of the congress and no commission can put me out of the game’. He’s fighting against this suspension.”
Seven candidates will stand in Fifa’s presidential election to succeed Blatter on 26 February.