The Turkish Footbal Association said it would retain the services of coach Fatih Terim despite widespred criticism for the part he played in the violence which marred the country’s November World Cup qualifier against Switzerland.
“Every member of the executive board, including me, said Terim should be the coach to lead the national team to Euro 2008,” association president Haluk Ulusoy told a press conference.
“With God’s permission, we will participate in Euro 2008. We have full confidence in our trainer,” Ulusoy added.
Terim has been accused by the Turkish media of provoking tensions ahead of the November 16 qualifier against Switzerland in Istanbul which ended in a brawl between players and members of Turkey’s backroom staff.
Turkey won the game on 4-2, but failed to qualify for World Cup 2006 on the away goals rule, having lost the first leg 2-0.
Earlier this week, FIFA ordered Turkey to play their next six official home games behind closed doors at a neutral venue and pay all organisational costs.
Assistant coach Mehmet Ozdilek, who has since resigned his position, was banned from taking part in “any football-related activity” for a year.
Subscribe to World Soccer – The essential football magazine