Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has pledged to see out his contract, despite admitting being shocked at the departure from the club of vice-chairman David Dein.
Dein, the man who brought Wenger to Arsenal in 1996, left the club on Wednesday after “irreconcilable differences” with other board members. However, despite his close affiliation with the former director, Wenger says he has no intention of quitting.
I will complete my contract so I am going to stay here until 2008,” said Wenger. “I will continue to give my best as I always have.
“If this had not happened, people would not be asking me these questions about my contract. I committed to that.”
Wenger paid tribute to his former colleague, and admitted he may now appoint a director of football to take on the duties previously performed by Dein.
He said: “We have lost a man of class, intelligence and competence who made a great contribution to this club.
“It is a disappointment and a big loss. David always at heart had the best interest of the club.
“Even if I am very sad it is important to keep the best interest of the club in mind.
“We have many young players and I want to develop this team and go as high up as we can. I don’t want speculation; you could talk about the consequences a lot.
“I am confident. The history of this club makes me think they have trusted David and myself to make decisions on important issues.
“We had a great partnership but now we have to focus on tomorrow.”
Asked if he had considered a director of football to oversee transfer matters, Frenchman added: “I have to think about that problem and what is the best solution.
“I will need some help but I do not really know at the moment. It is important the stability is maintained and it will be.”