Contrary to president Fernando Martin’s claim last week that they had already chosen a new coach, Real Madrid have denied making a decision on the successor Juan Ramon Lopez Caro.
In an official statement, the club said: “Contrary to what has been reported in the Spanish and European media the club has made no decision on who will be the club’s coach next season. The club has no agreement or contract with any coach.”
Last week Martin, who replaced Florentino Perez in February, told El Mundo: “I know who will be the new coach and I’m not going to name any names.”
Spanish media continue to link Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti with the post, despite his having signed a contract extension until 2008 with the Italian club last week.
“I have decided to stay with Milan, who have always been my team. They are my first choice,” Ancelotti was quoted as saying in sports daily Marca on Monday.
“The decision is definitive but anything can happen in football.”
Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger, Liverpool’s Rafa Benitez and Fabio Capello of Juventus have all played down speculation linking them with the Real job in recent weeks.
Real are second in the Primera Liga, 11 points behind leaders Barcelona, who they visit on Saturday, with eight games remaining.
Subscribe to World Soccer – The essential football magazine.