Liverpool have held the first in what they hope will be a number of meetings with manager Rafael Benitez amid speculation he could leave to manage Juventus.
Benitez had reportedly cancelled two meetings with chairman Martin Broughton before they met on Thursday.
“The meeting was constructive,” said a Liverpool spokesman.
“Views were exchanged on issues of concern to both the board and manager which were either addressed or to be picked up in forthcoming meetings.”
Benitez’s departure appears to be becoming increasingly unlikely according to his agent Manuel Garcia Quilon.
“At the moment it is more likely that Rafa will remain in England,” he told calciomercato.it.
“The aspect of investment on the team is important because Liverpool need reinforcements.”
Benitez, who has four years left on the contract he signed last summer, has endured a torrid season on and off the pitch.
In November he said he stated that Liverpool would definitely secure a top-four finish in the Premier League, but last Sunday’s 2-0 home defeat by Chelsea ended the chance of that happening.
As a result, Liverpool will be without Champions League football next season – the first time since 2002-03.
The Reds made an early exit from both the Champions League and FA Cup, and their last chance for silverware ended when they lost to Atletico Madrid in the Europa League semi-final last week.
Liverpool’s season has been overshadowed by continued speculation about the future ownership of the club, which came to a head in April when owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett confirmed they were looking to find a buyer for their shares.