Portsmouth striker Benjani’s protracted transfer to Manchester City has been resolved with Pompey to receive an initial reduced fee of £3.87m.
The 29-year-old Zimbabwe striker has signed a two-and-a-half year deal with City after passing a medical on Monday.
If Benjani makes 75 senior starts Pompey will receive a total of £7.6m.
“I’m delighted we have signed such a quality player, and I am looking forward to working with him,” said City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.
The transfer saga had been in doubt after City said the striker had arrived in Manchester too late to complete the deal before last Thursday’s midnight transfer deadline.
Pompey called in the Premier League and, upon examining the relevant paperwork, officials were happy that the deal had been completed just ahead of the deadline.
“I’d like to thank Portsmouth, the Premier League and the Football Association for their help, understanding and assistance in enabling this transfer to be completed to the satisfaction of all concerned,” chief executive Alistair Mackintosh told the City website.
“In particular I would like to thank Peter Storrie (chief executive) of Portsmouth and Sir David Richards of the Premier League for their hard work and pragmatism.”
Portsmouth’s director of communications, Gary Double, said there was no issue with the striker’s fitness.
“It’s good to get this sorted for both clubs and of course for Benji, who is the most important person in this,” he told The News. “Manchester City are concerned about Benji’s knee, whereas both Portsmouth and Benji know there’s not a problem.
“He’s as strong as an ox and never misses a day’s training, but in order for the deal to go through for Benji we’ve agreed to phase the payments.
“The terms have been changed, however. Portsmouth will still get the agreed fee. We are happy this matter has now been settled to everyone’s satisfaction.
“Benji has been great for Pompey and we wish him every success for the future.”