Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov says he turned down the chance of a move to Manchester United to join Tottenham Hotspur after speaking to Spurs boss Martin Jol.
The 25-year-old, who has agreed a four-year deal with the Premier League club subject to a work permit, is leaving Bayer Leverkusen for a fee of £10.4m.
“I can reveal now that I had an offer from Manchester United and everyone knows what it means but after talking to Martin several times I decided to choose Spurs,” he said on Thursday.
“We (the player and his agent) went to see Tottenham’s match against United last month and afterwards I met Martin. It was our first meeting but I realised that he’s a very special man.”
“I’m glad I’ll have the chance to work with him… many people have told me he is a brilliant manager.
“I’m looking forward to succeeding at Tottenham, which is a club everyone has spoken highly of,” said Berbatov.
“The club made a great effort to sign me and I hope to return that effort playing for them. I’ve had the chance to see some Spurs matches and I really like their style of play. They are trying to play attractive football.”
Berbatov, who was the second-highest scorer in the Bundesliga last season, sees his move as a step up.
“I spent five unforgettable years in Leverkusen but I’ve got no doubts that joining Tottenham is a step ahead in my career,” said Berbatov.
“I want to play in the Champions League and I’m sure I’ll do it as a Spurs player.
“I watched their final game against West Ham and it was very emotional because I felt like a Spurs fan,” said Berbatov, after an illness-ravaged Tottenham squad lost 2-1 at Upton Park.