Group E

Goals from Maksim Shatskikh and Aleksandr Khatskevich were enough to secure only a second ever win against English opposition for the Ukranians.

The Champions League offered no respite for Bobby Robson’s side, although they did have some bright spells in Kiev. Nikos Dabizas went close for the away side, and Craig Bellamy almost capitalised on a mix up in the Dynamo defence, and was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet.

However, Newcastle were behind on 17 minutes, when Shatskikh made the most of a quick free-kick from Gueorgui Peev, and left Shay Given with no chance with a drive from outside the box.

Dynamo created countless chances, and it was inevitable that a second goal was on the way. It arrived just after the hour mark, when Khatskevich headed home after Given could only parryOlexandr Melaschenko’s effort. It was not an ideal start for Robson’s team, and he will be looking to next week’s home tie with Feyenoord to get some points on the board.

Feyenoord will travel to St. James’ Park next week on the back of a 1-1 draw with Italian Champions Juventus in Rotterdam. In an evenly-matched game, it was the away side who took the lead in the first-half. Pierre Van Hooijdonk only succeeded in clearing a corner straight to Mauro Camoranesi, who chested down and volleyed sweetly beyond Edwin Zoetebier in the Feyenoord goal.

Tomas Buffel and Van Hooijdonk missed chances to level the score, and it looked as though it would not be the home side’s night. All that changed with 15 minutes remaining, when Feyenoord won a free-kick on the edge of the box. Up stepped Van Hooijdonk to send one of his trademark efforts floating beyond Gianluigi Buffon in the Juventus goal, and earn his side a valuable point in the process. Juventus were incensed as the referee twice ordered the kick to be retaken after booking two players for encroachment.

Group F

The home side may have feared that their poor Premiership form was going tocontinue, when Katan opened the scoring for the Israeli’s in the 8th minute. This clearly rattled United’s cage, and just two minutes later, they were level, after Ryan Giggs flicked Phil Neville’s cross into the net.

Many may have thought that a goal-glut was on the way for United; it was, but they had to wait nearly another half-hour for the next goal, when Ole Gunnar Solskaer finished off a fine move.

Veron drove in United’s third just after halftime, and they were further ahead on 54 minutes when Van Nistelrooy ended his recent goal-drought with a left-footed finish. Despite Cohen pulling one back for Haifa, it was always going to be the home side’s night. After David Beckham was brought down in the box in the final minute, Diego Forlan stepped up to score his first goal for the club, in his 27th appearance, to cap off the evening.

Olympiakos went goal-crazy against Bayer Leverkusen, beating the German side 6-2 in Athens. This will be viewed by many as a shock result, especially when you consider that Leverkusen were last season’s Champions League runners-up. However, Bayer have started this season poorly, and this result reflects that.

The home side were quite simply fantastic, and ran out worthy winners. Despite Bernd Schneider’s 22nd minute opener, Olympiakos ran this game and equalised soon after when Bayer defender Thomas Kleine found himself under pressure from Giovanni, and inadvertently struck the ball into his own net.

This set the Greek’s on their way, and a hat trick from Stylianos Giannakopoulos put them firmly in the driving seat. Despite Schneider’s penalty, further goals from Predrag Djordjevic and Par Zetterberg ensured that Olympiakos are the early leaders in Group F.

Group G

They were inspired by Roy Makaay with the Dutch striker striking a hat-trick at the Olimpiastadion.

Deportivo took the lead against the run of play, when Makaay collected Juan Valeron’s through ball, and slotted past Oliver Kahn. The pace of the Deportivo attacks was a constant threat to Bayern, and they fell two goals behind when Hector Berenguel beat Michael Tarnat and crossed for Makaay to hit his second of the game.

After the re-start, Bayern looked much more positive, and clawed a goal back through Hasan Salihamidzic. The Bosnia-Herzegovinian midfielder was not picked up in the box, allowing him to drill home a loose ball. Just eight minutes later they were level, when Elber headed in Owen Hargreaves’ corner.

Bayern were certainly buoyed by there resurgence, which looked extremely unlikely before half-time. However, they could not capitalise, and they were severely punished when Makaay popped up with the winner 13 minutes from time. Valeron, who had an amazing game, was once again involved as he sent Makaay clear, and the striker claimed all three points for the Spaniards, as he fired past Kahn.

Milan beat Lens 2-1 in Group G’s other game. Rivaldo was given his first start for Milan alongside Filippo Inzaghi in an attacking line-up. However, they came across a resolute Lens side, who seemed happy to play for a point in Italy.

Rigobert Song, the former Liverpool and West Ham defender, had a particularly good game, leaving striker Inzaghi with little room in the first half. However, the Italian international gave the San Siro crowd reason to celebrate, when he put Milan ahead on 57 minutes, heading Kakha Kaladze’s cross into the bottom corner. Four minutes later he doubled the advantage, turning in the area and striking beyond Guillame Watmuz in the Lens goal.

Lens offered hope of a fightback on 77 minutes through Daniel Moreira’s volley, but it never materialised, and Milan join Deportivo at the top of Group G with 3 points each.

Group H

Luis Enrique put the Spaniards ahead on five minutes, but that strike was cancelled out by a Timmy Simons penalty on 22 minutes, after Gaeten Englebert was brought down by Victor Valdes.

Gaizka Mendieta’s curling free kick restored Barcelona’s lead, before Argentine Javier Saviola scored with a superb solo effort, beating four players before finding the corner of the net.

Barcelona were not so destructive in the second half. This allowed Englebert to sneak a goal, and a possible fightback seemed to be on the cards. Barcelona were able to hang on and anything other than a home win would have been a grave injustice, after the Spanish side’s brilliant attacking display.

Galatasaray secured a priceless win at Lokomotiv Moscow, ending their hosts 13 match unbeaten run with a 2-0 victory. Lokomotiv will feel somewhat unlucky to have got nothing from the game, after carving out some decent chances.

However, their opponents from Istanbul were able to make the most of their opportunities, and will feel that they earned their 2-0 win. After a goal-less first half, the game sprung into life following the introduction of 18-year old substitute Mohammed Sarr. The teenager made an explosive start, scoring with his first touch after meeting Fabio Pinto’s cross with a firm header on 72 minutes.

Nine minutes later, it was 2-0. As Lokomotiv began to push forward in search of an equaliser, they lost possession allowing the visitors to break away. Ergun Peneb found Arif Erdem, who fired home to seal an impressive opening win for the Turkish outfit.