Reports that Rafael Benitez has been sacked by Inter have emerged Italy and England, but Nerazzurri president Massimo Moratti has stated that he is still the club’s manager.
Speculation has been rife in recent days that Benitez would be fired by Inter is inevitable, though the Spanish boss claimed on Monday that rumours he had been sacked were false.
“I have not been sacked,” Benitez said. “Many people that read the newspapers today have called me up to ask me if I had been dismissed. It’s not true, I am surprised that it has been reported as a done thing.
“I am currently on holiday to rest and then to begin again. For months I have heard and read things that are not true.”
Benitez was understood to be on borrowed time after his outburst in the wake of the Club World Cup success when he called on club president Massimo Moratti to back him or sack him.
New reports that he had been sacked emerged on Tuesday, but Inter owner Massimo Moratti denied them.
“At this moment the manager of Inter is effectively still Benitez,” he said. “That is factually correct, if I’m not wrong.”
“I read about all these other names in the media, but the club won’t contact any other coach until the situation is clarified.”
Former Milan manager Leonardo has been touted by the Italian media as a controversial favourite to replace Benitez should the Spanish boss leave.
Benitez, 50, is currently on holiday in Liverpool as Inter have begun their winter break.
Inter are 13 points adrift of city rivals Milan in the Serie A title hunt, albeit having played two games fewer than the Rossoneri.