Chelsea’s ambitious dream of winning an unprecedented four trophies this season, bit the dust at a snowbound St James’ Park as a Patrick Kluivert goal earned The Magpies a quarter-final place.

Newcastle’s task was made easier by Mourinho’s decision-making process both before, and during, a largely poor cup-tie on Tyneside.

With bigger games on the horizon, Mourinho, in his perceived wisdom, opted to keep several trusted first team names freezing on the bench as polar conditions gripped the North East.

In leaving Damien Duff, Frank Lampard and Eidur Gudjohnsen out of the starting line-up, Mourinho arguably withdrew any real attacking potency from his team, particularly as Didier Drogba and Arjen Robben were both injured.

Wayne Rooney made a winning return to Everton as Manchester United cruised into the FA Cup quarter-finals.

A first half header from Quinton Fortune and a close range finish from Cristiano Ronaldo after the break were enough to send The Red Devils through in this one-sided fifth round affair.

Home fans from the first whistle roundly jeered former Everton idol Rooney but, once the match had slipped from The Toffees’ grasp, the abuse died down, with the teenager involved in nothing controversial.

Sheffield United earned another crack at knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup after a bad-tempered 1-1 draw at Highbury.

A Robert Pires goal 12 minutes from time seemed to have settled the tie, but The Blades earned a replay when Andy Gray kept his nerve to convert a last-gasp penalty.

However, the first-half sending off of Dennis Bergkamp is sure to attract as many headlines, with the Dutchman dismissed at Highbury in the FA Cup for the second time in three years. Bergkamp saw red against Liverpool in January 2002, and was handed the same punishment on Saturday for a push on Danny Cullip.

The Gunners shrugged off their numerical inferiority and looked set fair for progress, but in truth their Championship visitors deserved a replay – especially after seeing what appeared a perfectly-good goal chalked off in the first period.

An excellent display from League One Brentford saw them claim a 2-2 draw at Southampton in their FA Cup fifth round clash.

The Premiership strugglers looked to be coasting into the quarter-finals after a brace from Henri Camara. However, a lovely solo effort from Isaiah Rankin gave The Bees hope just before the interval.

Then on the hour, the leveller came as Jay Tabb skipped his way into the box and crossed brilliantly for Sam Sodje – who could not miss with his header from just a yard out.

Brentford could easily have won the game late one, but they will be delighted to take The Saints back to West London for a replay.

Nottingham Forest came from a goal down to earn a 1-1 draw in their FA Cup fifth round clash with Tottenham.

Gary Megson’s Championship strugglers belied their league position by matching their Premiership opponents for large parts of the match at White Hart Lane, and fully deserved a replay in the end.

Teenage goalkeeper Colin Doyle made an almighty blunder to hand Spurs the lead on the stroke of half time when he let Jermain Defoe’s free kick squirm through his hands.

Forest skipper Gareth Taylor restored parity for a spirited visiting side on 56 minutes when he beat Paul Robinson to a long ball before slotting into an empty net to ensure that the two sides must meet again to earn a quarter final slot.

The East Lancashire derby at Turf Moor ended goal-less but lacked nothing in passion as Burnley gave as good as they got in the FA Cup fifth round.

One of the passionate rivalries in football brought energy, gritty defending, but precious little quality, as both goalkeepers had relatively quiet days.

Chances were few and far between, with Blackburn’s Morten Gamst Pedersen heading over before Paul Dickov screwed his shot wide from eight yards.

Rovers’ keeper Brad Friedel made a crucial save from Mo Camara to set up the replay on March 1.

Bolton booked their place in the last eight of the FA Cup with a gritty 1-0 win over Fulham.

The football at The Reebok wasn’t pretty, as both sides failed to produce their best, but it was the home team who edged the encounter thanks to the clinical finishing of Kevin Davies.

While Andy Cole failed to find his range for Fulham, Davies was on hand to take his one clear opening with aplomb on 12 minutes to settle a tense encounter.

Trotters chief Sam Allardyce has made no secret of his desire to lift the FA Cup and the resilient nature of his team will make them a match for any of the other teams in the hat.

Leicester out-foxed Alan Curbishley’s Charlton at The Valley, as they claimed a dramatic late 2-1 win in this typically competitive cup-tie.

The Championship side claimed a notable scalp after they opened the scoring through Nikos Dabizas and completed the win with a Dion Dublin header in the dying moments.

Although Charlton responded just before the break with a subtle back heel flick from Shaun Bartlett, Craig Levein’s side grabbed a well-deserved victory that takes them into the last eight.