The European Commission has given England’s Premier League until Monday to outline how it will ensure at least two TV broadcasters show live games when the next television deal is agreed.

BSkyB currently has exclusive rights to show live Premiership matches, but according to EU compeition rules their monoply must be broken for the next deal which will run from 2007 to 2010

Talks on the issue between the Premier League and the Commission have been ongoing, but no agreement has been reached.

EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said on Friday that she wanted “at least two broadcasters (to) each obtain a viable and meaningful share of the live match broadcast rights”.

“It would be no good if one broadcaster claimed 99% and the other only 1% of the matches,” added Commission competition spokesman Jonathan Todd.

Premier League boss Richard Scudamore recently prsented a plan to sell five packages of 28 games each, with no firm allowed more than four packages.

Several broadcasters have confirmed an interesting screening Premiership matches, including NTL-Telewest, Channel 5, the BBC, and ITV.