Liverpool have confirmed they are in talks with Real Madrid over the possible transfer of Xabi Alonso.
Alonso has been targeted by the Spanish outfit and although Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez was reluctant to sell, he had his hand forced when the former Real Sociedad midfielder handed in a transfer request.
Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow confirmed that he met with Madrid executive director Jose Angel Sanchez in Barcelona on Sunday to discuss Alonso.
Purslow told AS: “This (meeting) has only served to put our positions on the table. We need to continue talking.
“Rafa arranged this knowing what was coming. It was important that we know. So far, most of what is being said is a lie. We were negotiating through the press. It makes no sense.
“Now, I have been impressed by Madrid and Jose Angel. They are friends and will remain so.”
Alonso claimed he was unaware of the meeting but added: “It’s reassuring to know that Madrid and Liverpool are talking seriously now.
“I decided a long time ago to stay on the margin of everything that was happening.
“My stance has been clear, as you all know. I’m a professional and I must wait for an agreement to be reached, but I hope it is resolved soon, for better or for worse.”