Real Madrid’s transfer consultant Ernesto Bronzetti claims the club’s attempt to sign Inter defender Maicon has failed.
It was reported on Sunday evening that Inter president Massimo Moratti had taken the Brazil international off the market after Real failed to secure a deal for Maicon.
Bronzetti believes a deal was never likely, despite the interest of Real coach, Jose Mourinho, in the player.
“I speak with President Florentino Perez every day, but after a price-tag that the club considered out of proportion with Maicon’s age, there was no counter-offer,” Bronzetti told Sky Sport Italia.
“It is true that there was a meeting between Maicon’s agent and Jorge Valdano around a week ago and another request, which Real considered a little excessive. The truth is that Perez had already put the idea of getting Maicon out of his head a few weeks ago.
“I don’t consider Inter taking him off the market to be a strategic move, as there were no clubs willing to sign him at that price anyway. They probably were smart in setting the bar so high, as they never did want to sell the player.
“The Maicon transfer to Madrid is definitively over. They will focus on other players who are not in Serie A.”
Inter captain Javier Zanetti had earlier stated he hoped that the club could retain Maicon for the coming season.
“Maicon is the best full back that we have,” Zanetti said. “In fact, he’s the best full back in the world. It is very important he stays with us.”