Manchester City have made a formal bid for Middlesbrough winger Adam Johnson.
Johnson, 22, has been in outstanding form for Middlesbrough this season, and attracted interest from a number of Premier League clubs over the past 12 months.
However, Middlesbrough manager Gordon Strachan is ready to turn down any bids for Johnson, even though he is out of contract at the end of the season.
“We have had verbal offers, we have had one official offer and I would imagine after looking at those that Adam will be here for the rest of the season, which we are quite delighted about because he is coming back into form,” said Strachan.
“That’s great for us because when he is on form, we are a better team, that’s for sure. Adam is a terrific, terrific professional and a terrific young man. He is a credit to his mum and dad.”
Chelsea and Real Madrid have previously been linked with Johnson, who has come to teh fore for ‘Boro following Stewart Downing’s departure to Aston Villa over the summer.
It appears that City see Johnson as a replacement for Robinho after the Brazilian forward was left out of the squad for Wednesday’s Carling Cup defeat to Manchester United
“Robinho spoke with me yesterday,” City coach Roberto Mancini said. “It is possible that he will go to play for Santos or another team, so we preferred not to risk him [against United]. But that is the only reason he was not involved. If he is still here at the end of the transfer window, he can play for us.”