Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards has confirmed that the league is continue to investigate plans for an additional ’39th game’.
The league confirmed earlier this month that they wanted to add an extra game to the fixture list to be played overseas.
Reaction to the plans was largely negative, but undeterred, the Premier League has been tempted by the reputed £5million payment for the one game.
Richards revealed that talks would commence with both the FA and Fifa in the coming weeks.
“We are going to the FA board meeting on Thursday and will go to Fifa the week after next to explain why we are doing this,” Richards told the Daily Express.
“I believe when they see for themselves what it is about, Fifa might just say they have jumped the gun a little bit. They might just listen to us more sympathetically.
“I am sure we will be given a fair hearing by the new FA chairman Lord Triesman and I am equally sure (FIFA president) Sepp Blatter will have a vastly different view once he has heard from us personally,” he said.
Richards admitted that the Premier League could re-work their plans if need be.
“If the 39th games are not acceptable we shall have to devise a formula that is,” he said.
“We will not do anything to harm or injure the integrity of our own league.”