Real Madrid could relaunch their bid to sign Bayern Munich’s French midfielder Franck Ribery by offering two of their Dutch internationals plus €30 million to the German outfit.
The Spanish side said earlier this month their mega pre-season spending spree had ended with the capture of Xabi Alonso from Liverpool, but according to Marca and AS they have not given up hope of signing Ribery.
Real failed to sign the French midfield star this summer in the face of stubborn resistance from Bayern, but Real president Florentino Perez “is still not ruling out Ribery” ahead of the close season transfer deadline on August 31.
Both newspapers say the midfielder, who is keen to join Real, issued a “new challenge” to Bayern by playing for France on Wednesday in a World Cup qualifying match against the Faroe Islands even though he has not played for his club this summer due to injury.
Marca said “the key” to capturing Ribery may be for Real to offer two of their Dutch internationals plus cash to Bayern coach Louis Van Gaal, a Dutchman. Real “would be ready to offer two of its Dutchmen and more than €30 million for Ribery,” it said.
Real would thus be able to make “an appetising offer to the German team as the amount would surpass €60 million – 30 in cash and a bit more than 30 more for the players released, a figure approaching the €80 million that Bayern was demanding at the start of the summer for Franck Ribery”.
Perez has already spent more than €250 million on the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema as he seeks to make the nine-times European champions a formidable force again.
Real are still looking to offload Dutchmen Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben, Royston Drenthe and Rafael Van der Vaart.