Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo believes his two-match ban for Sunday’s red card against Malaga is excessive and is confident the club’s appeal will succeed.
Ronaldo was shown a straight red card in the 70th minute after catching Patrick Mtiliga with a flailing arm, breaking the defender’s nose.
The Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Tuesday that the Portugal forward had been suspended for two matches and fined €600.
“I wasn’t impressed (about the suspension), of course,” Ronaldo was quoted as saying by As on Wednesday. “I sincerely believe the punishment is excessive. I am confident in the appeal the club is going to lodge and that the punishment will be reduced.”
The RFEF’s disciplinary committee decided Ronaldo had been guilty of dangerous play.
Javier Lopez Farre, Real’s legal director, told Cadena Ser radio if the appeal to the RFEF was unsuccessful they would take the case to Spain’s Sporting Disciplinary Committee (CEDD).
“Of course, we would then ask for a postponement (of the ban),” he said. “If the player completes the suspension then it won’t help us at all if (the CEDD) rules in our favour.”