UEFA says it is waiting on official reports into rioting by Serbia fans at Tuesday’s Euro 2012 qualifier in Italy before launching an investigation.
European football’s governing body says it will study the findings of its delegate in Genoa, David Petriashvili of Georgia, and match referee Craig Thomson from Scotland.
Thomson abandoned Tuesday’s match after six minutes when Serb fans threw flares and fireworks onto the field at Stadio Luigi Ferraris.
The kick-off had already been delayed 45 minutes, and visiting fans had earlier clashed with Italian police in the city.
UEFA’s disciplinary panel has the power to award Italy a 3-0 win by default. It is next scheduled to meet on October 28.
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli told reporters: “We’re not playing, I’ve never seen anything like this before.”
Emiliano Viviano, Italy keeper, told Rai tv: “We are sorry. It’s not normal for a football game.
“I’ve seen (Serbia captain Dejan) Stankovic crying. I couldn’t stay in the goal and check the Serbian supporters wouldn’t hit me with firecrackers.
“Fear? I wouldn’t talk about fear, but I wouldn’t like to be hit by a firecracker”
The teams originally came out and began to line up for the national anthems but were sent back into the changing rooms as police in riot gear confronted the fans.
A few fans with their heads covered climbed up onto a partition, took out tools and began cutting through a mesh fence. Glass partitions were also broken.
Eventually the teams came back out and Serbia fans whistled and the game began before eventually being abandoned.
Antonello Valentini of the Italian Federation General Affairs told Rai tv: “The match has been definitively stopped, after a referee decision. He told us that he took this decision due to the fact that there was not the security conditions to play.
“Now the Uefa delegate will have to do his job and then we will see. We don’t want to talk about what could be the possible decisions”