France’s government is looking to extend the country’s state of emergency that was declared in the wake of the November 13 attacks in Paris.
The move is intended to cover the Euro 2016 finals and the Tour de France.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls told France Info radio that a two-month extension of the state of emergency will “allow a better response against the terrorist threat” during the tournament which runs from June 10 to July 10.
Following the attacks in Brussels last month, concerns have been raised that Euro 2016 could be targeted by terrorists.
Up to 8 million fans are expected to visit the fanzones, according to French authorities.
“We must ensure full security” so that Euro 2016 can “be at the same time a celebration with full stadiums and full fan zones,” Valls said.
The state of emergency, which has already been extended twice, had been scheduled to end on May 26. It permits police to carry out arrests and searches and allows authorities to impose restrictions on the movement of people or vehicles.
The measure has been criticized by human rights groups as damaging democracy.
Police have carried out 3,549 raids and searches since November 13. In total, 743 weapons have been seized.
France remains on high alert since last November’s attacks which resulted in the deaths of 130 civilians and 7 terrorists.