SubscribeSubscribe

The axe has fallen on England boss Steve McClaren after his side failed to qualify for Euro 2008, but who will take over?

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has confirmed that he is not interested in succeeding Steve McClaren as England coach.

McClaren was fired earlier today following England’s failed failure to qualify for Euro 2008 and Allardyce was quickly installed as one of the favourites for the job.

But Allardyce, 53, was interviewed as a potential replacement for Sven Goran Eriksson last year before losing out to McClaren, but he claims he will not be applying for the job this time around.

Asked if he wanted to be on the shortlist, Allardyce said: “Yes. I am contracted to Newcastle United and from my point of view, that contract needs to be honoured.

“I am not in a position like I was at my old club where the chairman openly extended the invitation for me to go for the position. I am not in that position now.”

Meanwhile, Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp conceded he would find it hard to turn the job down.

He told Sky Sports News: “I don’t think anybody would. Anybody would love to manage the country, sure, but I wouldn’t see it coming my way to be truthful.

“It’s all ifs and buts. All I am worried about is going to Birmingham on Saturday and getting three points.”

The axe has fallen on England boss Steve McClaren after his side failed to qualify for Euro 2008, but who will take over?

Articles

Kelsey Media Ltd
The Granary, Downs Court
Yalding Hill
Yalding
Kent ME18 6AL
01959 541444
www.kelsey.co.uk

© 2021 Kelsey Media Ltd