Daniel Alves looks set to leave Sevilla after he was omitted from their squad for the first leg of their Champions League third round qualifying tie against AEK Athens on Wednesday.
“Alves is not on the list,” Sevilla coach Juande Ramos told a news conference. “He told me he was not in the right condition to play and I have informed the club about the situation.
“I don’t know if he has agreed this with someone else in the club because they are in talks, but we knew this might happen. I expected something like this.”
The 24-year-old Brazilian has asked Sevilla to listen to offers, saying he felt it was time for him to move on.
Last week Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido said the club had received two offers in excess of 30 million euros for the defender. The offers are understood to have come from Chelsea and Real Madrid.
“Daniel is an influential player and the fact that clubs of the stature of Chelsea and Real Madrid are after him shows how important he is,” added Ramos.
Alves was a member of the Brazil team that won the Copa America in July and scored in the 3-0 victory over Argentina in the final.