Atletico Madrid have announced the sacking of coach Abel Resino following a poor start to the season.
The struggling Primera Liga outfit decided to act following Wednesday night’s 4-0 Champions League defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
That defeat, which has left Atletico with just one point from three games in Group D and in danger of missing out on a place in the last 16, was the latest in a series of setbacks this season.
“Abel Resino has left the post of coach of the Atletico de Madrid first team on Friday morning,” the statement on the Atletico website read.
Sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch said assistant coach Santi Denia will take charge of the team in Saturday’s league game against Mallorca.
“I gave it everything I have, but football is capricious and we are not getting the results we want,” Resino said at a news conference. “However, I am leaving with a clear conscience because I tried.”
Resino, who had been in charge of Segunda Division Castellon, took over as coach of Atletico in February following the dismissal of Javier Aguirre. He went on to lead Atletico to a fourth-placed finish last term after winning eight of their final nine games and that earned the 49-year-old an extended spell in charge.
But Atletico have been unable to maintain that form this season, and a disappointing start to the season incurred the wrath of their supporters.
Resino leaves Atletico in 15th place in the league with six points and the worst goals-against record in the division having conceded 17.
Speculation about his successor has been rife with both Marca and El Mundo Deportivo claiming that Michael Laudfrup would take over.