German champions, Werder Bremen, maintained their winning start to the new Bundesliga season by thumping FC Hansa Rostock 4-0 away from home.

Three goals in nine minutes effectively sealed the match for the champions with Croatian, Ivan Klasnic, netting twice. The striker broke the Hansa Rostock the deadlock after 54 minutes and four minutes later French playmaker John Micoud doubled their lead.

Klasnic scored his second and Bremen’s third after 64 minutes. Petri Pasanen completed the demolition with a goal a minute from time to maintain Bremen’s 100% start to the season.

Title contenders and last season’s runners-up, Bayern Munich, had to settle for a frustrating 1-1 draw against Hertha Berlin in the Olympic stadium in Munich.

Hertha made a dream start taking the lead after 15 minutes thanks to Marchelinho. But Bayern came back strongly in the second half and equalised 2 minutes after the break with Dutchman Roy Makaay scoring his first goal of the season.

Bayern pressed on and put Hertha under immense pressure, but couldn’t find a winner. Their cause was not helped when defender, Andreas Goriltz was sent off for a second bookable offence five minutes from time.

FC Nurnberg held Stuttgart to a 1-1 draw in front of their own fans at the Franken stadium. The visitors took the lead after only seven minutes from a strike by Cacau. But the home side equalised eight minutes later through Ivaca Banovic. Stuttgart played the entire second period with ten men after goal scorer, Cacau, was sent off for a second yellow card three minutes before the break, but held on for a share of the spoils.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Gerald Asamoah netted twice as Schalke 04 came back from behind to beat Kaiserslautern at the Park stadium.

Jochen Seitz gave Kaiserslautern the lead after 18 minutes. But Asamoah secured victory with his double on 26 and 56 minutes to the delight of the home crowd. Kaiserslautern had Dimitris Grammozis sent off after 72 minutes.

Borussia Dortmund won an enthralling encounter 3-2, away from home at the expense of Borussia Monchengladbach at Bokelberg stadium. Ivo Ulich scored for the home side after seven minutes only for Niclas Jensen to level after 13 minutes. Monchengladbach restored the lead after 34 minutes through Markus Hausweiler, but goals from Jan Koeller and Ewerthon on 35 and 38 minutes respectively, sealed the points for Dortmund.

Meanwhile, two goals in three second half minutes from Antonio da Silva gave newly promoted Mainz 05 their first ever Bundesliga victory. Ex-Manchester City player, Daniel Van Buyten, had given visitors, Hamburg, a first half lead after 27 minutes. But they couldn’t hold onto their lead and left Mainz empty handed.

On Sunday, a late equaliser by Andriy Voronin rescued a point for Bayern Leverkeusen against Bochum at Rhur stadium in a 2-2 draw.

The home side, Bochum, who dominated the match for long periods took the lead after 29 minutes when Czech international Vratislav Lokvenc found space from a pass by Christophe Preuss to coolly slot home.

But Leverkeusen managed to claw their way back and a headed goal by Dimitar Berbatov levelled the score after 66 minutes. Four minutes later though, Bochum regained the lead with Preuss netting against his old club. It seemed that his goal would decide the match but up stepped Voronin who scored with 3 minutes left to earn the visitors a draw.

Elsewhere on Sunday, SC Freisburg beat Wolfburg 1-0 away from home at the Volkswagen arena.

Wolsburg dominated the match and twice hit the woodwork but were unable to unlock the stubborn Freisburg defence. They paid for their inability to score when Freisberg substitute, Regis Dorn, stole the points for the visitors five minutes from time.