Cameroon’s Football Federation has demanded the immediate release of Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o for the forthcoming African Nations Cup.
Federation spokesman Abdouraman denied claims madeby Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard that a deal had been reached with the club to release Eto’o on January 12.
“We were surprised by Rijkaard’s declaration because we’ve not reached such an agreement with Barca,” he said. “This is unacceptable. We want Eto’o released immediately so that he joins the rest of the squad.”
Eto’o was the only member of the 28-man shortlist not to have confirmed his attendance at a training camp in Burkina Faso and Abdouraman called on Barcelona to release the player by Tuesday.
“We hope they do not put us in a situation of considering some action against them,” he said.
Abdouraman said Barcelona contacted them last month to request Eto’o remained with the Spanish club till January 16, but Pfister replied that this was impossible.
Barcelona subsequently claimed that the player needed to stay in Spain to continue his recuperation from a recent knee injury.
“But, surprisingly, last Saturday night we received a message instead from Barca’s medical doctor, not the club management as expected, stating that releasing Eto’o would jeopardise his re-education after a prolonged period of absence from the pitch due to a knee injury,” said Abdouraman.
Eto’o returned to action for Barcelona last month after a long-term injury that required surgery.