Manchester United cruised into the group stage of the Champions League with a 6-0 aggregate win over Debrecen.

Gabriel Heinze put United in front in Hungary with a far-post header, to add to the 3-0 first leg lead. Heinze grabbed his second of the match, rising unchallenged to head home a free-kick from Ryan Giggs, who was making his first start of the season.

Substitute Kieran Richardson wrapped up the win, smashing the ball past Norbert Csernyanszki from the edge of the area. United suffered injuries to Richardson and Gary Neville, who was stretchered off.

Everton crashed out of the Champions league before the group stages after losing their tie 4-2 against Villarreal, going down 2-1 on the night night in Spain.

Everton were unlucky not to take the game into extra time after referee Pierluigi Collina mysteriously ruled out a Duncan Ferguson header. Villarreal had almost booked their place in the group stages after Juan Pablo Sorin scored a deflected effort but Mikel Arteta brought Everton level with a brilliant free-kick. Uruguayan Diego Forlan made it 2-1 on the night after Ferguson had seen his goal disallowed.

Dutch giants Ajax beat Brondby despite Johan Elmander scoring just before the break for the Danes at the Amsterdam Arena. Ryan Babel equalised on 50 minutes and Dutch international Wesley Sneijder then scored twice in the final 10 minutes to earn Ajax a 3-1 win on the night, and a 5-3 aggregate triumph.

Werder Bremen won 3-0 in Germany after they trailed 2-1 heading into the second leg of their tie with Basel. Werder made the breakthrough when they hit Basel with three goals in the space of seven minutes. Ivan Klasnic scored twice and Tim Borowski converted a penalty. Werder had German international striker Miroslav Klose sent off on 79 minutes but they held on.

Inter drew 1-1 with Shakhtar Donetsk in the San Siro, giving them a 3-1 aggregate win. Alvaro Recoba opened the scoring on 12 minutes before the Ukrainians equalised with Blano Blumer’s.

Anderlecht advanced to the group phase of the Champions League after a 2-0 victory at Slavia Prague. Serhat Akin’s 72nd minute goal and Mbo Mpenza’s effort gave Anderlecht victory on the night. The Belgian club had a 2-1 lead from the first leg.

Club Brugge beat Valerenga on penalties. The Norwegian outfit held on to a one-goal first leg advantage until Bosko Balaban scored on 79 minutes. Valerenga then had Kjetil Waehler sent off but held on in extra time, only to lose 4-3 on penalties.