Confederation of African Football president Issa Hayatou admits he is anxious ahead of a two-day FIFA executive committee meeting on Wednesday that will allocate 2014 World Cup qualifying slots.
Africa secured six places out of 32 at the previous competition in South Africa last year, but it seems unlikely he will be able to match that feat for the finals in Brazil in three years time.
Of the African contingent, only Ghana reaching the knockout second phase while Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and South Africa made early exits.
Ghana were only the third African country after Cameroon and Senegal to make the last-eight – which remains the furthest any African side has reached.
“We have to decide the number of teams which will represent CAF at the World Cup in Brazil and I am already stressed about knowing if we will get what we got in South Africa,” Hayatou told Radio France International last week.
The African quota for the World Cup increased from five places to six in 2010 because the host nation is the one automatic qualifier but that slot goes to South America next time.
Moreover, Asia and North/Central America have called for more places at the finals.
“We believe CONCACAF (North/Central America) deserves another full place at the World Cup due to the performances of our teams on the field and the actions of our confederation off it,” said regional boss Jack Warner.
The allocation of slots for the 2010 World Cup was as follows: Europe (13), Africa (6), South America (5), Asia (4), North/Central America (3) and Oceania (1) with Uruguay and New Zealand qualifying via inter-continent play-offs.