Inter are seeking damages from a fan arrested by Italian police after the abandonment of their Champions League quarter-final with Milan.
The Inter fan, who Italian police have identified as Michele P, faces charges relating to the throwing of flares and other missiles on to the pitch during Tuesday’s second leg.
With Inter facing a heavy fine and a ban from playing home games at their San Siro stadium, the club are eager to be seem to be doing something.
Public prosecutor Fabio Roia told the Italian news agency ANSA that Inter had made a formal written claim for damages.
“I consider this a very important signal. It means that the club is distancing itself from its fans,” said Roia.
He said that he believed this was the first time an Italian club had positioned itself as the ‘injured party’ in a case involving crowd trouble.
ANSA also reported that Franco Caravita, who they described as ‘one of the leaders of the Inter home end’, had been ordered to appear before the Milan public prosecutor’s office as part of an investigation into Tuesday’s events.