According to reports in Spain, former Manchester United captain Roy Keane is about to join Real Madrid.
The reports claim that Keane has passed a medical and will sign a six-month deal with an option for a further year.
Real were refusing to comment on the Keane situation.
In their report Marca suggest the way had been cleared for Keane’s arrival at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium after Real’s financial division gave the go ahead to come up with the money to pay for his services.
Keane has received several offers from clubs in the Premiership with Everton manager David Moyes confirming last week that he is still interested in signing the 34-year-old, while Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is another who would like to sign the former Irish international.
Keane – a Celtic fan – has said in the past that he would like to end his career at Celtic Park but chairman Brian Quinn has admitted that the Scottish league leaders may not be able to match the player’s wage demands.
Michael Kennedy, who acts as the player’s representative, said last Wednesday: “There is nothing to report and I have no idea if there will be any decision this week.”
However, he did say that Keane has been keeping fit since leaving Old Trafford and will be ready to make a return to action in the new year.
Real have been in the hunt for a midfielder of Keane’s holding player ever since France international Claude Makelele left to join Chelsea in 2003.
Subscribe to World Soccer – The essential football magazine