Real Madrid intend to unveil Manchester United’s Ruud van Nistelrooy as their new signing later today.
Madrid revealed on their website that the striker has agreed a three-year deal – but did not reveal the fee.
United said they have given the striker permission to travel to Madrid for a medical – but denied that the clubs had reached agreement over a fee.
In their statement, Madrid said: “Real Madrid announce they have an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of the player Ruud van Nistelrooy.
“The player will be contracted with the club for the next three seasons.
“He will undergo a medical on Friday morning and will be presented in the evening at 7pm at the Palco de Honor at the Santiago Bernabeu.”
United’s statement, released later on Thursday, said: “We have given permission for Ruud van Nistelrooy to travel to Real Madrid for a medical.
“But the terms of agreement are yet to be finalised between the two clubs.”
Sir Alex Ferguson has previously said: “He is one of the best strikers in the country, one of the best strikers in Europe, so when you think about Andriy Shevchenko going for £35m – he is a similar age group.”
United were believed to be looking for at least £15m for Van Nistelrooy, while Real, who previously had a bid turned down for the Dutchman, are reported to have offered just over £10m for the striker.
United signed Van Nistelrooy for £19m from PSV Eindhoven in 2001.
If a deal is reached between the two clubs, Van Nistelrooy will be Madrid’s third signing since Ramon Calderon won the club’s presidential election on 3 July.
Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson have already been signed from Juventus, although Calderon’s pre-election plans to sign Chelsea’s Arjen Robben, Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas and Milan’s Kaka, have yet to come to fruition.