Real Madrid have confirmed that sporting director Predrag Mijatovic will hold a press conference at the Bernabeu on Monday evening as speculation over the future of coach Bernd Schuster grows.
The German coach watched his Madrid side lose 1-0 to Real Valladolid at the weekend – their third defeat in four games.
Last week the Primera Liga champions suffered an embarrassing exit from the Copa del Rey at the hands of Segunda B’s Real Union and the Spanish media claimed Schuster would be sacked if Madrid lost against Valladolid.
Schuster, who has a frosty relationship with the press, had to endure with a barrage of questions after the Valladolid game but insisted he was not overly concerned about his position.
“I am calm. We are working towards what we want to do and I am focused on my job,” said Schuster. “It is a difficult time at the moment but we had a similar situation last season.”
Spanish newspaper AS claimed that Schuster’s decision to give his players two days off after the defeat at the Estadio Jose Zorrilla has angered club president Ramon Calderon, who has assigned Real chiefs Mijatovic and Miguel Angel Portugal to seek out possible replacements.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid captain Raul Gonzalez insists all the club’s players are 100 percent behind under-fire manager Bernd Schuster despite media reports that the coach had lost the respect of the dressing room.
“It is a lie to say that we are not behind the coach,” said Raul. “Of course we are all with him. There is no problem there.”
However, Madrid golden-boy Jose Maria Guti and defender Sergio Ramos have been critical of the abrasive German in interviews.