Besiktas have denied a newspaper report that claimed it had sacked Spanish coach Vicente Del Bosque and would replace him with former Real Sociedad coach Raynald Denoueix.
The Hurriyet said the Frenchman would take over from Del Bosque immediately after Besiktas’s UEFA first leg return match here Thursday with Norway’s Bodo Glimt. But the club moved swiftly to deny the report.
“There have been no talks with the coach in question,” the club said in a statement Tuesday.
“Our coach Vincente Del Bosque is at the helm of the team and is working day and night to lead Besiktas to the next stage of the UEFA Cup.”
Denoueix, however, confirmed that he had been offered the job.
“They approached me but I’m not interested at this time,” he told AFP.
On Monday, a Besiktas spokesman said Del Bosque had been given a stay of execution.
Reha Muhtar said: “our first priority is to win against Bodo Glimt … (Del Bosque) will be at the head of the team on Thursday.
“Management has decided to concentrate on nothing but the Bodo match at this a critical juncture,” Muhtar said. “It would be wrong to take any radical decisions at this stage.
“At this stage, we are fully behind the coach and the team.”