England’s Premier League has appointed former London police chief John Stevens to lead its independent inquiry into illegal transfer payments.
All transfers to English Premier League clubs from Jan. 1, 2004, will be examined and the findings will be reported in September, Stevens told a news conference.
“I will personally overview the inquiry and ensure that it meets the highest standards of investigation and evidence gathering,” said Lord Stevens.
“In addition, a number will be subjected to a more detailed investigation criteria set by myself.
“I am conscious that there have been persistent allegations in the press, and I would be grateful if those responsible for the articles would provide to my team any supporting evidence or leads that they might have.
“As with all investigations, I shall go where the evidence leads. I can assure both the Premier League and you, that Quest, will not be distracted or diverted from whether or not irregularities exist, and if there is evidence of wrongdoing it shall be highlighted.”
The so-called ‘bungs’ inquiry was announced in January in the wake of England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson claiming there were three unnamed Premier League clubs involved in bungs.
Luton Town manager Mike Newell and Queens Park Rangers boss Ian Holloway also said they had been offered illegal inducements.
The Premier League says they are determined to root out any wrongdoing.
“We are charged with administering the rule book. If there are breaches of the rules we will deal with it,” said chief executive Richard Scudamore.
“It is a serious inquiry. The absolute bottom line is that the Premier League and its clubs want to know what is going on.
“We will get to the bottom of what is going on.”
Subscribe to World Soccer – The essential football magazine