Inter will appeal against the three-match ban imposed on Samuel Eto’o for violent conduct.
The Cameroon striker was punished earlierby Italian football’s Disciplinary Commission for head-butting Chievo defender Bostjan Cesar during the 2-1 defeat in Verona on Sunday.
The Lega Calcio fined Eto’o €30,000 (£25,596) and have since banned him after seeing video replays of an incident not witnessed by the referee.
A statement from the club said: “Inter announces that it will appeal against the three-match ban handed to Samuel Eto’o.”
Eto’o could now miss games against Parma, Lazio and Fiorentina, and his absence will be a blow to under-fire Inter manager Rafa Benitez.
Benitez is under pressure as they lie nine points behind Serie A leaders and rivals Milan.
Eto’o has scored nine league goals so far this season and if the ban is upheld, will only return to domestic duty when the Italian champions host Napoli on 6th January.
Chievo defender Cesar said there was no bad feeling between the two players.
“Of course I didn’t like what Samuel did, but I can understand his actions,” he said.
“Eto’o had struck me twice with his elbow and then – I admit – I threw a punch at him. After that he ran at me and hit me with his head.