Juventus have taken their appeal against the punishment imposed upon them for their part in the match-fixing scandal, to the Italian Olympic Committee’s arbitration court.
A sports appeals tribunal last week upheld a July 14 ruling by the Italian football federation stripping Juventus of its last two Serie A titles and relegating the club to the second division. The appeals court reduced Juve’s points deduction from 30 to 17.
After the second ruling, Juventus said the sanctions were still “excessive” and said they would appeal “through all possible courts.”
The Olympic committee’s has the power to uphold or revoke sanctions in sporting disputes. The Olympic committee said a ruling would be issued by Aug. 25.
Fiorentina and Lazio are also expected to appeal against their punishments, including a ban from European club competition for this season. Fiorentina were also docked 19 points and Lazio 11 in Italy’s Serie A.
Depending on the outcome of these appeals, the matter could then be referred to the civil courts, which could delay the start of the new season, which is set for August 28.
Milan, the other club implicated in the scandal, are waiting to hear whether they will be permitted to play in the Champions League next season. UEFA will decide their case, although if they are thrown out of the competition that decision could be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, world sport’s highest tribunal.