Liverpool have been forced to issue a denial that Robbie Keane will be sold in the January transfer window, after former Anfield player Mark Lawrenson claimed the striker’s future was in doubt.
Lawrenson, who currently works as a TV pundit, told Irish radio station Today FM’s The Last Word that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard believes Keane could be set for a move in January.
”I had a drink with Steven Gerrard at a function on Saturday night, and we were talking about Robbie Keane,” Lawrenson said.
”He was saying to me that they [Keane and Gerrard] share the same agent and he thinks something is going to happen with Robbie Keane in January. He thinks he’s going to be moved on.”
In a statement reported by The Guardian Liverpool said: ”Mark Lawrenson’s remarks are his interpretation of a private chat between the two of them. They do not accurately reflect Steven’s opinion of Robbie Keane and they certainly do not tally with Steven’s recollection of the conversation itself.”
Last week 28-year-old Keane, who has scored just twice in the Premier League since his £20.3m move from Tottenham Hotspurs, dismissed claims that he would be leaving the club and insisted the goals would come.
In the club’s last two league games against Hull City and Blackburn Rovers Keane was an unused substitute and appeared unhappy to be subbed after 65 minutes in Liverpool’s 0-0 draw with West Ham earlier this month.