Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has accused William Gallas of being disrespectful to him and his team-mates.
The 28-year-old defender failed to report for pre-season training in Los Angeles.
“It’s not only me that is upset – we’re all upset,” said Mourinho.
“Everybody is upset because we had a strong family and a strong group and this has shown a lack of respect to everybody and I don’t like that.”
Gallas told the club in May that he wanted to leave the club, despite being offered a new four-year contract.
Gallas, who has been linked with Italian side Milan, is expected to return to London on Friday from his holiday in Guadeloupe.
Having sold Asier del Horno to Valencia and with Wayne Bridge also expected to leave, Chelsea face the prospect of beginning the new season with a defensive crisis on their hands.
The Premiership champions have been linked with Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole, but with no deal in sight, they are understandably reluctant to offload another defender.
“He did not report and further action will now be considered by the club as a consequence,” read a Chelsea statement on Tuesday.
“Gallas was due to join the team with the other Chelsea players who participated in the World Cup semi-finals and final.
“William requested extra time off following the World Cup but was informed he should still report to Los Angeles on the date previously agreed with him.
“Pre-season training and the tour is about building team spirit among our squad and extra leave is only granted for valid football-related reasons.
“Discussions between Chelsea and William about a new contract are already well documented and ongoing. He has one year left on his current contract.”