SubscribeSubscribe

Title-chasing Liverpool will know that things won’t be easy when they travel to Craven Cottage to meet a Fulham side fresh from beating Man Utd

Wigan managed Steve Bruce has questioned Amr Zaki’s future at the club after the striker failed to report back from international duty for the fourth time.

The club have been unable to contact the 26-year-old since he played for Egypt against Zambia on Sunday.

“I can honestly say that in all my time in football I have never worked with someone as unprofessional,” said Bruce.

“In Zaki’s case it really defies belief from a player who is on loan and trying to earn himself a long-term contract.”

Zaki, who scored Egypt’s only goal in a 1-1 draw with Zambia, kicked off the season in prolific form with nine goals in 13 games, but he has struggled in recent months, with his last goal for Wigan coming on 28 December.

“I really am at the end of my tether with him,” said Bruce, who will fine Zaki for the latest indiscretion.

“I am now fearful that if I don’t take firm action, it will disrupt the rest of my squad, who – to a man – behave totally professionally,” continued Bruce on Wigan’s official website.

“Before this latest incident, Zaki had already been fined considerably more than the average person in Britain earns in a year and he will now face another heavy fine.

“This is the fourth time he has not reported back on time from international training.

“I have already fined him the maximum allowed but this just seems to have no effect.”

The Egypt team doctor has faxed Wigan a report claiming that Zaki has picked up a hamstring injury and required rest, but that has not been backed up by a scan.

“I just feel it’s time that we went public on just what a nightmare he has been to deal with,” added Bruce.

“I am right behind my players representing their countries, it is a tremendous honour for the club. This is not the issue here.

“My South American players, for instance, have to go much longer distances but I have never had a problem with any of them.

“I’m sick of answering questions about Zaki’s whereabouts and I don’t want anything to distract the players from preparing for another massive game for us on Sunday against Everton.

“Zaki’s behaviour has shown total disrespect to the club who pays him a very good wage and, equally as importantly, to the fans who sing his name from the stands.

“I think it’s time for them to know the truth about the man.

“This situation needs to be resolved as soon as possible and I don’t feel it’s appropriate to say anything more at this stage, apart from how let down I feel, personally and professionally.”

Zaki’s Egypt and Wigan team-mate Mido made it back to the JJB Stadium on time.

Title-chasing Liverpool will know that things won’t be easy when they travel to Craven Cottage to meet a Fulham side fresh from beating Man Utd

For more fascinating features, subscribe and save 30% and use the below link?

Articles

Kelsey Media Ltd
The Granary, Downs Court
Yalding Hill
Yalding
Kent ME18 6AL
01959 541444
www.kelsey.co.uk

© 2021 Kelsey Media Ltd