Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has revealed he would like to sign Fernando Torres – but only if the price is right.
New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has admitted Torres, 26, is unhappy with the club but any City approach depends on the striker wanting to move.
“Torres is one of the best strikers in Europe and is already playing in the Premier League for three years and knows it very well,” said Mancini.
“But it depends on his situation – his price and whether he wants to come.”
Liverpool have placed a reported £70m valuation on the player, who has also been toutd as a possible Chelsea target.
The forward, who joined Liverpool from Atletico Madrid in 2007, signed a new deal at Anfield last year but is believed to be unhappy with the club’s failure to invest in new players.
Hodgson wants to keep him but has admitted that the platyer will ultimately decide:.
“Unfortunately, I cannot do much more,” he said. “His beef is with the club and not me.”
On Sunday former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish told BBC Sport that he expected Torres to stay.
“When Torres sees that and talks with Roy I’m sure he’ll give us good news,” Dalglish told BBC Radio 5 live’s Sportsweek.
“I hope Torres stays. Only Fernando knows what he is going to do. Unfortunately for him he is injured but he is a fantastic player and is very happy around the club and the city.
“The fact that Stevie is staying will be a great help and players like Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, Jonjo Shelvey and Danny Wilson mean there is buying for present and the future.”
City boss Mancini also confirmed he is still interested in Aston Villa’s England midfielder James Milner.
“When Manchester City enquire about a £10m player, the club asks for £20m. That is not good for us,” stated Mancini.
“James is still a player who interests us but only at the right price.”