Arsene Wenger has denied reports claiming Arsenal have agreed a fee for Andrei Arshavin.
The Gunners have been pursuing the Russian playmaker for some time, although they have been unable to reach agreement with his club, Zenit St Petersburg, over a fee for the 28-year-old.
Zenit claimed on Monday that a fee had been agreed with Arsenal and all that was required for the deal to go through was for the player to agree terms.
Wenger, though, insists that is not case and admits that a deal is not even close at the moment.
“It is not true a fee has been agreed. We are not close to concluding any transfer; Arshavin or anybody else. At the moment it is all quiet,” said the Frenchman.
“For me, it is of little interest. I can understand that when the transfer window is open, it makes headlines.
“I like quality football, and for me that is more important than having one more player here.”
Wenger added: “Time is getting short and at the moment I am more focused to win the game tomorrow (against Everton).
“We know we are in front of a big game and the most important thing is to focus on that.
“For me, it is not a distraction because what is important is the team continues to focus on the championship, the FA Cup and the Champions League.”
Wenger also played down speculation linking him with a move for Manchester City centre-half Micah Richards.
“I like the player, but I have not gone for him, no,” he said.